Monday, May 11, 2009

Richards Blog 25.04.09 – Another season, hopefully another dollar!

Well today is the day it all starts again! As usual I’am typing this at Caherconnoll on the Cliffs tour and I must admit that much as I try to fight it I do have a feeling of trepidation, we had flying start to our spring tours and business has definitely been up but it has been back to earth with a bump for last 2 weeks as passenger numbers have been very low. We have made a huge investment (for us!) in vehicles over the last couple of years and we are really proud of our fleet but fact is we do need customers to survive! We try to run all of our tours but it is really tough when we make a loss, however as Chris reminded me this morning I do feel a bit this way every year!

On a much more positive note I think our new coach will be making its debut on a private tour on Tuesday and I’am looking forward to that although I cannot say a first trip with a new vehicle is my favourite – it takes a while to get used to heating, air con etc but I’am sure it will be fine, my few trips locally getting it tested etc. have been very pleasant and we are delighted with the way our ‘Celtic Star” (aka Rambo!) has turned out, “he’ really is a handsome devil – much like his regular driver!

Now starts 26 weeks of constant work but I do love the predictability of our jobs particularly if we are lucky enough to get good numbers over the season, we are also working on a couple of projects that will bring us a boost, one being a new offering from Dublin that will include return rail travel, accommodation and a tour for less than the cost of one of our competitors day tours! Also we have commissioned a new website that will be a fun micro site that will link with this site but make our web presence a bit more fun and light hearted as well as revieling even more facts about your favourite tour operator - There is no hiding place it seems!

My music this week is still consisting of a joyous exploration of Elbows’ back catalogue which has led me (some would say inevitably!) to another Manchester band Doves who are currently impressing me with their incredibly diverse sound, too many influences to mention I think! They are possibly not as wordy as Elbow but just as creative and best of all they are from the North!

No comments: