Thursday, December 10, 2009

Richards Blog 22.09.09 – More guests!

I have missed a week of blogging as we have had more guests, my lovely parents arrived the week before last on Thursday and stayed until last Wednesday, I was great to see them but as usual the time absolutely flew by, they took a few tours with me and it was lovely to have some company out on the road, we were actually busy on the Saturday and needed 2 coaches so it was a bit like a family outing! Their visit always puts us in mind of the winter and some time off – it won’t be too long now!

I had a trip to Dublin with my folks last Wednesday and managed to choose one of the most chaotic days in the capital for a long time as there was unfortunately a collision between a LUAS tram and a Dublin Bus right in O’Connoll Street but at least I was on foot and never had to cope with the traffic. I headed back to Limerick on the last train and because the LUAS wasn’t running me and my dad had a great walk right up the Liffy to Heuston Station – great exercise!

The train journey was all we have now come to expect from Irish Rail, it was one of the new mark 4 trains, it was immaculately clean, smooth, punctual and the on board team were as charming as they were efficient, this got me thinking about our relative lack of success in promoting our Cliffs of Moher Tour from Dublin which included return rail travel with a reserved seat for a very reasonable package price. Competition is fierce in Dublin and 2 other companies appear to be capturing a lot of business by doing the tour by coach throughout which would seem a good idea until you realise that Dublin to Limerick is well over 3 hours by coach each way and put that on top of the 2 hours each way to The Cliffs and it starts to look like a bit of a marathon without thinking about having a look at the Burren! Still people are taking these tours but we intend to promote our products advantages more next year particularly focusing on the comfort and speed of the rail connection so watch this space as ever – we are on a mission!

Music wise I have been listening to Ian Browns’ new single – Stellify and I absolutely love it, it really does have a Stone Roses feel to it and indeed it inspired me to buy F.E.A.R one of his older solo albums and it is steadily growing on me, might have to check out some more and I cant wait for the forthcoming album!

This week is also the last of our Galway tours for 2009 and as regular readers will know this is a particular favourite of mine but the upside is one of us will be getting an extra day off work for a while. We will keep operating our remaining tours until mid October then we are going to have to see how numbers are holding up as to whether we continue our full programme or go over to weekend tours so, as ever – watch this space!

No comments: