Sunday, April 18, 2010

Richards Blog 27.03.10 – Reflections on old Siam and Manchester!

Well I made it through last weekend and our first tours with no problems and we were quite busy, thankfully we are busy again today and I write this at Caherconnoll Fort enjoying a good cup of Irish tea.Thailand seems every inch of 6000miles away now but we have some great memories.

Our customers often ask us why we visit Thailand and there is no simple answer, there are so many reasons, the first has to be the weather, we always visit in January and February which are the coldest and bleakest months inIreland and also of course when our business slows to a near standstill. This year the weather was glorious in Thailand, we had highs of 37 and it never dropped below 25 – beats minus 12 any day! Also we never had much rain – about 2 days in 60 aint bad!!

But personally my biggest reason for visiting is because it is different, I know that might sound an obvious observation but I struggle to think of anything that isn’t totally different to what we are used to here except possibly, though sad to report, fast food! One thing that absolutely fascinates me is how everyone seems to get along with no state aid, there can be no doubt poverty is rampant but no matter how humble these peoples dwellings are (and believe me many are unbelievable!) the Thai people have a capacity to use one facet of their human nature that so many of us Westerners have long since abandoned – the smile! I don’t know if religion is responsible or just a different attitude to life but in 2 months of driving in Pattaya City (which must be second only to Bangkok for traffic!) I saw no road rage and none of the hatred and abuse that we suffer every day in our jobs here! I saw a great example of a coach doing a crazy, illegal and dangerous u turn on a main highway, a Thai Traffic Police officer came up to the driver and guess what happened? Both the driver and the officer had a laugh at the situation and instead of giving the driver a dressing down in the manner that we expect here (probably peppered by threats of prosecution, court and eternal damnation!) he stopped the traffic and let the coach continue his turn!

I would never suggest that works everywhere but it sure leads to less aggravation and in all that chaos the traffic flowed well! I soon got used to the Thai way of driving and initially when someone pulled out in front of me I would honk and tut but as time went on I just waved and smiled – doesn’t that make a happier world!

Now talk of driving brings me to point out that I was actually riding a motorbike all the time, I hired one from the company we always use which is run by a lovely Thai lady, about 95% of hire bikes are scooters and I really hate most of them so I went a step up and got a Honda Phantom, a uniquely Thai bike, they are like a small cruiser not fast but fun! I managed to get the oldest one I think and it was the 2 stroke version which was great fun and always fastest off the lights! Needless to say I fell for it and found myself cleaning “my” bike and even giving it a tune up one day, I even asked the lady to let me know if she is selling it and I might be a buyer – sad I know, I’am just a sucker for old vehicles with character! I shall give you more motorcycle diaries (wasen’t that a film?) next week.

Now regulars might be missing my music ramblings, a couple of things to report back in December we had a last minute trip over to Manchester to see one of my all time favourite bands Doves in a triumphant homecoming to Manchester Central (great venue!) and I have to report it was absolutely fantastic, particularly when they went back to their roots and played Space Face by their former band Sub Sub, took me right back to the days before X factor and everything when music was part of a scene rather than being the instantly forgettable and manufactured dribble that we have to endure today, as the lads said “my god its full of stars!” if you like trippy, baggy Manchester music check it out, it is on itunes! More about Manchester next week!



Me on my bike in full Thai wet weather gear!

No comments: