Thursday, May 6, 2010

Richards Blog 04.04.10 – April fool!

I cannot believe that we are into April already particularly as I was de icing coaches at 7.30 this morning, the weather is just mad at the moment, in contrast last Sunday I went for a blast on my bike and it was a fairly warm spring day! Things are chaotic at home still, we have builders in sorting the flood damage so we are living out of cases and sleeping in the spare room, if there were anything positive to come out of our bad luck it is that we are having a massive clear out and de clutter which was long overdue!

We had an April fool on Thursday and offered a tour for Eu5.00 to The Cliffs fromDublin including lunch and rail travel! I’am not sure anyone was fooled but the way competition has gone in the day tour business probably people thought we were serious! There is a huge battle going on between some companies at the moment and some day tours are now cheaper than they were 15 years ago! Now some of you might think this is great good news for travelers but I’am not too sure, all that these price levels will result in is safety compromises and inevitably a worse tour for everyone the old adage “quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten” certainly applies here! We will not get involved in this kind of stupid price cutting and will continue to do what we have always done and that is to offer the best tours at a reasonable cost, we haven’t even had a price increase for 8 years now, we will watch developments with interest but you are never going to get a Barratt Tour for a stupid price however you will always get one for a reasonable price that is workable for us and affordable for you, we are in this for the long haul after all and one way we will always compete is in quality - you wouldn’t go to a Michelin starred restaurant and expect a cheap meal!

Thank you for all your kind wishes to Chris, I have to say she has really made a full recovery now and is fighting fit, indeed I cannot remember her relishing the fight we have to get customers more than at the moment, so a warning to our competitors from her – she is spoiling for a fight and believe me, you don’t want to cross her at the moment!

No books or music to report on without me boring you all to death with me rattling on about how brilliant Doves are! But next week I will tell you about a great book that I  read on holiday that will appeal to you if you have a liking for a great cop story with some far eastern intrigue, as ever, watch this space!

No comments: