Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Richards Blog –  21.03.09 – Asleep in the back !

I’am enjoying this Elbow lyrics idea, I have managed to use an album title as my blog subject this week, I had a tour the other day with a very nice group other than the fact that they spent most of the time we were traveling sleeping! I’am a poor traveller on a coach as I fall asleep very quickly (if I trust the driver!) and I’am never sure whether to take sleeping passengers as a compliment or an insult! I suppose it’s a compliment in that they are relaxed and comfortable with my driving but they are clearly not gripped by my commentary!

I got thinking about this on Thursday night when me and Chris went out for a meal and a few drinks in Limerick, the meal was at The Texas Steakout and was as good as ever by the way. We then retired to Smyths bar for refreshment where there was a local band playing called the Lollygaggers, when we arrived there was about 10 people in the bar who were largely indifferent to the band despite us applauding particularly when they did a great Bell x1 cover and I really felt for them trying to whip up a reluctant crowd – they had the same problem as me the other day!

When the bar filled up a bit the atmosphere changed and a lively night ensued and the you could tell the band relaxed and enjoyed themselves and I will guarantee everyone else in the audience felt the same. This is often how I find my job goes one day you seem to be talking to yourself then another you have a laugh and interact with the passengers and I feel my best comes through on those occasions but if I get no feedback no matter how hard I try not to I find myself simply “going through the motions” I’am sure you have guessed which days I prefer, on the days when we have a bit of fun time seems to fly!

Now I know a lot of people are shy and just because they aren’t cracking jokes doesn’t mean they aren’t enjoying themselves if fact I have been amazed on occasions when someone I have hardly interacted with all day leaves the tour at night and tells me they had a great day and gives me a generous tip - that’s a great feeling, they have taken what they wanted from the experience and enjoyed themselves in their own way.

So if you are taking a tour, try to have a chat with your driver if you like what he or she is doing and you might find you get even more from the tour but then again if you are the loner type sit back and enjoy but if you do enjoy your day make a point of telling your driver – you might be surprised how much a small bit of encouragement means to them.

We are going to pick the winner of our “Name a coach” competition next week I think we both like the same one but we are still open to suggestions so drop me a line if you have one. We also have some news next week about a new micro website which will be much more interactive and lively with a forum and maybe an alternative blog which might appeal to those of you who follow my blog. By the way if you do have any thoughts or comments about this blog or anything else why not e.mail me or are you “Asleep in the Back?”

No comments: