Thursday, July 9, 2009

Richards Blog 27.05.09 – Is it me, or does everyone hate me?

Don’t worry, I haven’t gone totally mad (just yet!!) but I really do notice how things are changing here at the moment, as you know I spend an awful lot of time on the road and I never cease to be amazed at other drivers attitudes, I have become immune to the total lack of regard motorists show to a larger vehicle and have learnt to accept that if I meet a small car on a narrow road it will always be me that has to give way and do all the braking and steering whilst the car driver sits and watches! But I have recently noticed a new phenomenon and this is mainly from local drivers, I can be doing nothing wrong other than trying to get my way through as best I can but I often find myself on the receiving end of all kinds of threats and abuse or at least and interesting array of gestures! Chris had a situation the other day where somebody pulled out in front of her far too close and then didn’t accelerate so she overtook in a perfectly safe place, she stopped at traffic lights further up the road only for the motorist to shout that he was going to report her for being a dangerous driver! Another good one was just the other day when I was in Doolin, I met a young girl in a car in the very tight spot just ouside O’Connors, I again managed to squeeze through only to glance down at her to see her cursing and waving at me with a rage that had to be seen to believed! I honestly still don’t know what I had done – I would really like to know though! You really do need a thick skin in this job!

Now I certainly don’t want to put you off visiting our beautiful country it seems most of this behavior is in cars, I had a group of flight crew from a well known US airline on my tour the other day and they told me that they had noticed everyone was much more short tempered lately so it seems this is not unique to Ireland, I think an explanation could be that people have been well off (or at least they thought they were!) for a few years and now things are slowing down it seems to be driving the masses into the foulest of humour!

I don’t think my mood has changed too much, to be honest I’am just pleased to be making a living of sorts doing a job I enjoy, we have never been ones for new cars and flash houses etc, our pleasures are simple and cheap – maybe that is why we can laugh at the others!
We are still planning a major new product and it is getting ever closer so watch this space for the most unbelievable offer in our history!

No comments: