Thursday, July 9, 2009

Richards Blog 21.05.09 – This is the winter of our discount tents!

I couldn’t resist that title it come from an add for a camping shop that I saw years ago! The weather has been absolutely crazy even by Irish standards this week, it has overall been very cold and wet but suddenly we will get an unexpected good day like yesterday when it was beautiful around the coast and a t the Cliffs, I had a private tour and took the group up to Galway so a long day but quite a nice one with the weather co operating for once!
We have again had a tough week with unpredictable numbers, I have quite a large group today but yesterdays good weather seems to have helped! I believe the weather has a huge effect on our business and coupled with all the recession doom and gloom here it would depress even the most optimistic person!

The recession isn’t all bad in that we are now getting deals on travel and accommodation that would have been unheard of 2 years ago, as usual we are trying to diversify further and will be announcing some products soon that will offer truly remarkable value – watch this space! For us the Celtic Tiger is dead – long live the Celtic Tiger!

If you haven’t heard of The Celtic Tiger it was a phrase used to describe the outrageously overheated economy in Ireland during the early part of the millennium, all concerned were certain that it would go on for ever (including the banks it seems!) but you wouldn’t have to be too gifted an analyst to realise that an economy based on 80% property and construction might be ever so slightly delicate! I can honestly say that I don’t believe that the Celtic Tiger had much effect in our sector and some would argue it had negative effects in that it took the countries ‘eye off the ball” with regard to tourism and in many ways I would subscribe to that view - we needed to come back to earth but maybe not with such a severe bump!

We had a great night out to beat the doom and gloom on Thursday and saw a band from Mayo and Roscommon called Gorilla Radio they could really rock and did a great diverse set with everything from Lady Gaga to Metallica – personally I preferred the Metallica though!
I finally got out on my bike on Wednesday and went into town to run some errands in bright sunshine only to get caught in a monsoon on the return journey! I was quite literally soaked to the skin! I have a new waterproof overall but guess where it was? In the cupboard at home of course!

No comments: