Saturday, August 23, 2008

Richards Blog –  11.08.08 – Baton Twirling and Gigging!

There has been a big event taking place in Limerick over the last couple of weeks – The International Baton Twirling Championships – I kid you not! I had no idea that twirling was so popular but I’am delighted that it is as we have enjoyed a bit of extra business as a result, I even sacrificed my Friday off to take a group to the Cliffs and hopefully fun was had by all!
It has been a better if a little exhausting couple of weeks and business has finally been about the level that we expect at this time of year but we do still suddenly get unexpected quiet times. We have been under a little pressure last week as we lost Celtic Pride for a couple of days but Celtic Princess AKA Curt stepped into the breach and performed brilliantly as ever – if only Mercedes could still build coaches as good as that – I may even buy a new one!

Talking of vehicles there may be a change afoot and we may be having another upgrade – so watch this space for details! We always hate parting with our vehicles and I well remember somebody in tears when we delivered Celtic Warrior (Wally) to his new owner! I must admit we do get far too attached to the vehicles but we really do like them and they tend to develop a personality – stupid I know but it is particularly hard when we have to part with a vehicle that has served us well as you never know if its replacement will be as good! That was certainly the case with last years purchase Celtic Pride – it has cost us an awful lot of money to put right but we feel that our investment will be rewarded by a trouble free season next year – here’s hoping!

Music – Went to a great gig on Thursday night at Smyths bar – a local band called The Wilful, I have mentioned them before but again they impressed with a totally mad set that included everything from Christy Moore to Gangster rap via Abba and the theme to Fraggle Rock (don’t worry you need to be a certain age!). A brilliant nights entertainment anyway !

Book – Just started a great read “Don’t tell my mother I work on the rigs” by Paul Carter – a great insight into the mad world of the oil industry and is great reading.

No comments: