Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Richards Blog 04.07.09 – Crowds and Hookers!

It has been a very mixed week with fairly poor loadings on our tours, indeed on Thursday we had nobody for either of our tours so we took the decision to have a break and headed up to Galway for the night, the break really brought back some happy memories and helped to remind us a little about what made us get us into all this! We often used to visit Galway when we still lived in England on our holidays and it is a place I still really like there really is a real buzz about the place, we had a great meal then a few drinks around town, the visit was made even happier for me as I got a chance to sample a new beer called Galway Hooker (www.galwayhooker.ie) it is a traditional pale ale with a superb smack of hops to its taste – I thought it was absolutely great, it was lovely to taste proper beer again! My usual tipple here is Guinness or if it is well kept I much prefer Beamish, I don’t know if my taste buds are bored but Guinness seems to be getting blander with little of the roasted malt bite it used to have – let me know if any you beer tasters agree! Indeed blandness is a feature of Irish beer now with the increasing promotion of bland worldwide lager brands and ‘light’ beers, it seems to me that it is seen as an advantage if beer no longer tastes of beer – it is then said to be smooth and easy drinking but then again so is water!
Anyhow beer rant over I’am back at the wheel today driving a thankfully well loaded Cliffs tour with my new coach so I’am in a happy frame of mind after our impromptu break, Chris is having a day off as sadly we have not needed 2 coaches on a Saturday for sometime now but hopefully that will change, it is little consolation but tourism numbers in general do seem to be in decline indeed I’am finishing this blog at The Cliffs and I’am the only coach here at 4.45 on a July Saturday afternoon! I remember about 6 years ago I was at the Cliffs one Sunday in August and there were 53 coaches all vying for parking spaces!

If you think this paints a depressing prospect to potential visitors – think again prices are tumbling, the welcome is warmer than ever and the crowds are not here so if you are thinking of booking one of our tours do it today and support a genuine small company – the big guys can look after themselves! come and enjoy! I might even show you where you can find a Galway Hooker! (you have a dirty mind, hooker was a name given to the typical Galway fishing boat!)

No comments: