Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Richards Blog 16.07.09 – Tea and sympathy (please!)

I write this as usual at Caherconnoll enjoying a cup of good Irish tea – if only we could beer that was as good as our tea in Ireland but I digress! I seem to have been here a bit this week but it has given me chance to work on my preliminary notes for my book. Thinking back to the early days of our company has been unexpectedly therapeutic and is really helping me focus on our future plans – it is easy to forget the hardship we endured to get to this point in our lives! I suppose hardship is and emotive word but it really was tough for a couple of years and many was the month we never saw a wage from Barratt Tours!

Also it made me ponder the long nights me and Chris spent together in the garage repairing a bus for the following days’ tour, one occasion particularly sticks in my mind when I got what is known as “arc eye” in other words getting blinded by a weld flash and ended up in hospital until 3 in the morning, I made my normal miraculous recovery and was heading to Killarney on tour with the bus the following day! Oh, and the exhaust was welded, not sure I could do that now mind!

If this is beginning to sound a bit like that classic Monty Python sketch when they are discussing how hard they had it growing up “that’s nothing we lived in a hole in the ground etc etc” then my apologies, all this is leading to is the thought that we have worked too hard to get this far so we are going to ride this current storm out and as you may have gathered we are gaining strength from the injustice and corruption that is blighting our industry at the moment, even though the field of play is nowhere near level there is always the second half - so look out!

Not much time for reading at the moment what with my literary endeavours but I’am still finding time for music with the band Doves being my music of choice at this time, suitably dark and melodic to just suit my mood at this time of year and to remind me of some trips to England this winter, it just occurred to me that the season is over half way through!

No comments: