Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Richards Blog 08.08.09 – If I only had words!

Today I have to be honest and say I feel more down than I can remember feeling in years, I’am on our Cliffs tour and we are very busy indeed we have both had to work, so why the misery? Well here goes …….

Last week was fairly busy and although we were busy we were a little down after our guests leaving, however as usual we snapped back into the work routine and the week flew by then before we knew it it was Thursday and we were looking forward to our weekly night out, I was on my favourite Galway tour with my coach and Chris on the Cliffs with hers, all was good with the world as I headed home to sort the e.mails and get changed before Chris arrived. I pulled into our yard and headed to the back door only to notice it had been broken into, it took a couple of seconds to register but quickly a black feeling fell around me, we had been burgled! I tried to remain calm and walked around the house to find virtually every room had been totally ransacked. I needed to talk so I rang Chris and told her to pull over before breaking the news. She arrived about 15 min later while I was on the phone to The Garda and for one of the only times in my life I was struck dum, we just hugged then went inside to inspect the damage, we had some well hidden cash taken although fortunately we never keep business takings at home – they go straight into the night safe at our bank, also quite a lot of personal items and jewellery were taken and much of our furniture was damaged by the ruthless searching that had gone on.
All this is bad enough but it is the feeling of violation which I never understood – it really does cut you to the bone and stays no matter how much you try to cut it out it occupies most of your waking hours, we couldn’t face sleeping in the chaos on Thursday night and decided to stay in town once the place was secured. We phoned our friends at The Absolute Hotel and they kindly gave us a complimentary suite so we had a takeaway pizza in grand style in our room before doing the only thing we could think of in this situation – go for a drink! We settled into one of our favourite haunts – Nancy Blakes and had a few drinks which did make us feel a bit better – but not much!

After a good breakfast we returned home to start clearing up the mess and take stock of what was missing, we actually probably got off quite lightly but it doesn’t feel like it at the moment! Friday was also spent trying to catch up with paperwork and cleaning coaches but to be honest our heart wasn’t really in it and if ever we needed time to ourselves it was yesterday but as usual business came first!

Today we awoke shaken but not stirred and had to face a busy day with both of us out on tour, it was really hard leaving the house for the first time but the show must go on! however fate had not quite finished with us yet, Chris had to meet the train from Dublin which managed to be 50 minutes late after that she met an unmarked white van on a narrow section of road in the Burren and pulled over as far as she could but the van still kept driving and smashed her mirror. Normally she would take all this in her stride but when I met her at Caherconnoll she just broke down and I cannot blame her – my heart is really bleeding for her at the moment – I think women are probably more affected by the feelings of invasion of privacy and I think the break in will be in the back of our mind for years to come.

You might be wondering why I have not mentioned the perpetrators of this hideous crime but to quote the words of one of my favourite Christians song “If I only had words”

Now as some of you might know I’am not a very religious but I do firmly believe in Karma and also that in the last few moments before you leave this mortal coil everyone will take stock of their life and their achievements so I think that whoever did this will recall ruining peoples lives and taking their hard earned cash and hopefully this will ensure a life of eternal torment, hopefully happier thoughts next week folks – the only way is up!

No comments: