Monday, May 23, 2011

Richards Blog – 04.09.10 - I don’t believe it!

After our break in we decided that we needed a treat as we were both a bit down, so we invited some friends from Corkfor a meal and a night out in Limerick, we stayed at Punches Hotel and had a great night, it was just what we needed to lift our flagging spirits! On Thursday Chris had our smallest coach on the Cliffs tour and I had Chris’ coach on the Galway tour, the plan was she would head straight to Punches and relax and make herself beautiful whilst I headed home, left the coach, did e.mails then headed back in with our car before going out (my beauty regime is a little quicker!)

On Friday we had a day off so we used our car and took our guests out to Killaloe for a walk and a bite to eat and got back to Punches mid afternoon, the plan was that I would then take the small bus home and Chris the car after we had said our goodbyes to our friends, all went well until I got into the minibus to find glass everywhere, some low life had broken the quaterlight and stolen our tips box which contained the princely sum of five euros and our Thai Budda (a little souvenir from holidays!) I just cannot describe my feelings at that point after only being burgled at home the week before. Fortunately I knew a fellow operator had a Mercedes like ours scrapped and so luck was on my side as the window was intact, I then spent Friday night fitting the window with the age old technique of using a bit of wire with great success, so it was easily sorted but that is just not the point, we sometimes feel we are swimming against the tide, our luck is not great this year! I do think our little Budda is going to bring the culprits nothing but misery so that cheers me up!

We have had a fairly mixed week this week but one highlights was our competitor having the nerve to call us to take one of their passengers because they had another of their “convenient” breakdowns – or I suspect the truth was they only had one booking and they didn’t want to run, I will never see a passenger stuck and so carried the gentleman but the cheek of this company running a dead copy of our tour, undercutting our price and then wanting us to help them out has me speechless! But then again last weekend I had a lovely US couple join me at The Poulnabrone Tomb because they were desperate to leave another tour from Dublin, I think they realized the reality of being on a 14 hour tour! As ever I was happy to oblige and take them on our tour to Limerick where they took the much more civilized option of taking the train back to Dublin, they seemed to have a great time with me and I would not take any money from them as they had paid our rivals but the gentlemen did give me a handsome tip before leaving, doing the right thing does have its rewards, so if you reading this - thanks again and please continue to spread the word about Barratt Tours!

No comments: