Monday, May 23, 2011

Richards Blog – 23.08.10 – More misery (where will it end?)

Well I’am heading to The Cliffs today and business is fairly mixed but quiet today and I have our small coach. Last week went OK until Thursday when I got back from doing our Galway tour and was looking forward to a night out. I went into our kitchen and stood on an orange which I thought was strange but I assumed Chris had dropped it leaving in a hurry as I looked round the house it started to dawn on me that all was not quite right cupboards were open that shouldn’t have been and then I realized we had been broken into again, just over a year after the last time.

Fortunately our “visitors” this time had not done much damage, they had forced a kitchen window and somehow got in there (I suspect it was a child) we had very little taken – a small amount of cash, Chris’ Nintendo and a watch which wasen’t hugely valuable but it had some sentimental attachment for me as Chris bought it me to replace the one I had stolen last year! It seems that I’am destined not to own an Armani watch!

I suppose we got off lightly as we really did loose a lot last time and had a fair bit of damage done so nothing like that this time, what is the same though is this feeling that we have been invaded and whilst we are working harder than ever to pay bills and taxes etc there is a minority here that think nothing of breaking into houses in broad daylight while honest people are at work. The law has changed here lately to give more power to home owners to use “reasonable force” to protect their property. Those of you that know me will know that I’am a peaceful and fairly level headed person but I have to admit that the way I feel now, if one of our burglers were in front of me and I had a gun, I can honestly tell you that I would have no hesitation in  pulling the trigger, I really do feel that bitter and I know Chris feels it worse than me, we have only just got the house straight after last years break in and our flood damage. So now we are bolting windows shut and getting a much more sophisticated alarm but this is all big money at a time when we can least afford it!

I was listening to the radio on my way to town today and there was huge controversy about a new government idea that vehicles that are taxed for commercial use should not be used for pleasure so that means that our struggling tradesmen cannot drop the kids off at school or whatever for fear of prosecution for tax evasion, I wonder if that worried the low life that robbed my house last week! Would we not be better taking them off the streets than trying to bleed the last few euros from people just trying to make a living?

If this sounds bitter then you would be right, I have never felt much bitterer in my life, it really is hard to make an honest living in this country at the moment! I think I shall buy myself a van and blatantly flaunt the law by going shopping in it or picking up a takeaway - hows that for civil disobedience – I shall continue blogging from my cell on death row!  

No comments: