Monday, May 23, 2011

Richards Blog – 16.10.10 – Jet lagged in The Burren!

It has been a busy time lately and I’am pleased to report that I have not been on my own Chris is still getting by OK and is going into hospital in late November for an operation so she will have some time to recover before our holidays.

Chris’ bus also needs some surgery in sympathy to its’ regular driver! It has now been with us 3 years and the time has come for a freshen up as well as a few repairs underneath so we decided it was worth sending it to our favourite bodyshop in England, things were fairly quiet last week and so I decided to head over on Tuesday night – it turned out to be some journey though.

I left home at 9.00 on Tuesday night for DublinPort, Tuesday was a fantastic day but as often happens once it got dark and the temperature fell, fog formed. Most of the journey to Dublin was in fog and it was incredibly dangerous as I had perfect vision one minute but then the next I came into what I can only describe as a blanket of fog, visibility was terrible and literally every glass on the coach steamed up in seconds but after 5 minutes it would be clear again, quite a tiring journey! I reached the port around 12.30 in plenty of time for my sailing at the lovely hour of 02.15 on Wednesday morning to Holyhead, the Stena Nordica was clean and efficient, I got a meal (not sure what you would call it in the middle of the night!) and then had a couple of hours sleep in a cabin before the 05.15 wake up call with time for a quick coffee before heading off the ship into the romantic setting of Holyhead in Wales at 06.00!

I headed up the vastly improved road only to hit, guess what? More fog of course, thankfully this cleared eventually but I did keep hitting patches all the way up the M6 motorway. Drivers hours regulations dictated a break halfway back so I pulled into a truck stop for my second breakfast of the day. That and a good strong pot of tea restored my spirits and I arrived in Spennymoor County Durham about 11.30, quite a journey as I said!

My father then met me and the good bit started, I had a couple of days with my parents and catching up with friends before flying back yesterday to Cork where Chris was waiting to take me home.

Even after such a short break, I am finding it tough getting back into the swing of our Cliffs tour this morning but the weather is nice and we have a largish group so things are not so bad but last week was my first real time off since April so I have to be honest and say I am looking forward to our next break now which isn’t too far off.

We are running our Cliffs tour as much as we can and intend to offer it everyday except Friday until the end of this month along with Blarney on Sundays. Some attractions are closing at this time though indeed our friends at Caherconnoll Fort close for the winter on 25th Oct so if you would like to see that you had better book soon! We will be having a coffee stop in Ballyvaughan though and we will be offering the Cliffs of Moher tour on Saturdays until 11th December subject to demand.

Watch this space though for news of our 2011 tours, big changes are afoot, me and Chris are flat out working on some exciting new tours are packages these really will be different and unique – news very soon – promise!

No comments: